You’ve tried steamed and sautéed cauliflower. Maybe you’ve even sampled mashed cauliflower. But have you tried cauliflower rice? This stir-fry has only 57 calories and 3 grams of carbohydrates per each one cup serving. It’s a gluten-free, low- carb, vegan, and Paleo alternative to stir-fried rice.
In this recipe, cauliflower is pulsed in the food processor until it is broken down into rice-sized pieces, and then stir-fried. You can also mash cauliflower into “rice grains” with a fork, as is called for in this recipe for Greek Chicken Stew with Cauliflower Rice.
This Cauliflower Stir-Fry recipe takes only five minutes to prepare and 15 minutes cook. Cauliflower has many health benefits, so try these other cauliflower recipes to get more of the cruciferous vegetable into your diet:
Cauliflower Stir-Fry makes the perfect side dish, but can be served in a larger sized portion as a main dish.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup carrots finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cauliflower head medium, trimmed and florets separated
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos optional lite soy sauce or tamari
- Add cauliflower to a food processor and pulse until the consistency of rice. A grater can be used in place of a food processor, using the small holes. Note: If using a grater, do not separate cauliflower before grating. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Sauté onion and carrots until tender, about 10 minutes. Add red pepper flakes and garlic and sauté one additional minute.
- Add "rice" cauliflower to the skillet, cover and cook until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Add black pepper and coconut aminos, toss to combine with cauliflower. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite recipe from SkinnyMs.? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.