An energy-boosting snack that packs a punch of heat!
Do you hear Jamaica calling? Our jerk spiced cashews bring on deep and fragrant flavors found in Jamaican cuisine. These savory cashews offer a wide array of health benefits. Out of respect for authentic jerk, our take not only includes pepper, lime zest, and ginger, but also nutmeg, cinnamon and thyme. Due to the timid taste buds of most westerners, we substituted cayenne pepper. However, scotch bonnet peppers will legitimately deepen your jerk seasoning. You can find them fresh or powdered and they are a beautiful shade of orange.
Jerk Seasoning Has Meaningful History
Given that I love knowing the history behind food, jerk seasoning holds a special place in my heart. As a fusion of both African and Taino cultures, jerk‘s main purpose was to preserve meat. The Taino were the indigenous Caribbeans on the island. And of course they shared culinary methods with imported Africans. In order for slaves who were on the run to prevent discovery, they literally took their cooking underground. In order to stifle smoke plumes, they filled cooking pits with spices and leaves. By using aromatics that were readily available on the island, they turned to native plants. With this in mind, pimento berries, scotch bonnets, and thyme perfume the base. Many jerk versions today add warm spices such as nutmeg, cloves, and cumin to replicate the earthy flavors. Gariel Ferguson, famed chef, defines jerk seasoning as “freedom manifested in food”.
Savory Cashews Full Of Potential Health Benefits
If you already bring heat to food, you are giving yourself a leg up in unexpected health benefits. By using hot spices in jerk-spiced cashew snacks, your body will receive the following benefits.
- Improved blood count
- Reduced anemia
- Less cancer risk
- Lowered blood pressure and cholesterol
- Increased amount of copper and magnesium intake
- Boosted metabolism and bone mass density
- Aids fertility in women and increases testosterone in men
Add Nuts To Everyday Snacking
Although nuts are high calorie foods, the positive health effects are irrefutable. Keep an eye out for more studies regarding the nutritious effects of supernuts. In all actuality, you can’t go wrong with adding moderate servings of nuts. This can be especially true if your diet regimen is low in fat and protein. If anemia is a possible concern, then these savory cashew snacks will help. They are also most effective in a weight loss or weight management program. Whether eaten by the handful or topped on a salad, you do yourself a service. Try adding them to a sophisticated home-cooked pasta or slow cooker vegetable curry.
Jerk Spiced Cashews
- 2 cups cashews raw, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 sprigs thyme fresh
- 1 lime zest of
- 2 teaspoons ginger fresh, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme dried
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves ground
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small reusuable container with a lid, combine all the ingredients for the jerk spice.
- In a medium bowl, lightly toss the first five ingredients with a tablespoon* of jerk spice.
- Bake for four minutes or until the cashews a lightly golden brown. Allow to cool completely before serving. Store in airtight container for a week.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms