That's right. Kale slaw! Try it!
This kale slaw recipe is a great alternative to traditional high fat slaw recipes. Granted, traditional coleslaw features cabbage and possibly other veggies, but it is usually made with mayonnaise and other less-than-desirable ingredients. This slaw not only cuts the saturated fat content of your usual slaw, it also includes kale, which is a SUPERFOOD, so it is packed with nutrients. This nutrient dense food provides a wealth of vitamins as well as phytochemicals that may help prevent age related Cataracts and Macular Degeneration.
We love this kale slaw and toasted walnuts because it is perfect serve as a side dish or as a main course for lunch. It is also a great option when you need to bring a dish to a cookout or office gathering. The slaw is light and healthy, but it is packed with flavor. Even if people have never tasted kale before, they will fall in love with this super slaw. Best of all, it is simple to make. You can whip up a batch of kale slaw in a short time, so there is no need to worry about spending a long time in the kitchen preparing a healthy dish. This slaw truly dispels the myth that healthy food is complicated or filled with exotic ingredients. The walnuts add a little healthy fat and crunch, and the recipe is reminiscent of the kale salad featured at many local markets.
Whether you are looking for a substitute picnic dish to replace a traditional coleslaw or you love kale, and you want to know as many ways to prepare it as possible, you will love this kale slaw with toasted walnuts.
Kale Slaw with Toasted Walnuts
- 1/4 cup walnuts minced
- 1 kale bunch
- 1 carrot large peeled and shredded
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup fruity extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger ground
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt salt more to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place walnuts on a cookie sheet and toast until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Cut center stalk away from leaves and discard. Rinse kale and pat dry with a paper towel. Using a knife, cut kale leaves into thin strips. Add kale leaves, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon salt to a large mixing bowl. Using your hands, rub kale until it begins to wilt, about 3 minutes. Add carrot shreds, toss and set aside.
- Add to a blender, remaining red wine vinegar and olive oil along with honey, ginger, garlic, black pepper and kosher salt to taste, blend until combined.
- (Optional, if you prefer not to use your hands...steam kale just until wilted, add carrot shreds. Add all remaining ingredients, except walnuts, in a blender and blend until combined and smooth. Add to kale and carrots, toss to combine...sprinkle on walnuts).
- Add toasted walnuts to Kale, drizzle with dressing and toss to combine.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.