A fresh and flavorful meal that makes every night feel like summer.
I’ll be honest, I’ve never really loved summer. I don’t like the heat, there’s too much pressure to enjoy going to the beach, and no matter what shape I’m in, my forever-pale legs will just never look right in shorts. One thing I do love about summer though? All the fresh and flavorful recipes. I may never be craving summer, but I do crave summer cooking. This Lemon Basil Shrimp and Asparagus Recipe is exactly what I picture when I think summer.
Yes, I spend most of summer complaining about the humidity and waiting for fall. But coming from a family of die-hard sun worshipers, even I’m not immune to some of the season’s charms.
There’s something about those summer nights where you come home for dinner after a day at the beach (even if you were dragged there against your will), sleepy and sun kissed with your hair and clothes full of salt and sand. Then you wash it all off in a long, relaxing shower before throwing on a sundress and heading to dinner. You sit out on the deck, eating fresh, summery food while the sun sets over the water, feeling drained but happy after a long day in the sun.
I have a million memories of summer nights like this, and it seems like everyone knows that feeling. This Lemon Basil Shrimp and Asparagus Recipe is exactly the kind of meal that brings me back to those nights. With fresh veggies, seafood, and summery herbs and flavors, this is one of those recipes that manages to capture a feeling.
The best part is, this 30-minute recipe is so quick and easy, you really will be able to just throw it together after a long day at the beach. Or after a long day at work that you just wish you spent at the beach.
Whether you’re looking for fresh summer meals to beat the heat or just trying to conjure up some of those warm weather vibes in the dead of winter, this simple, clean recipe bursts with all the fresh summer flavor you crave.
In the summer, this quick recipe means you won’t have to spend too much time stuck in the kitchen with a hot stove. In the winter, this recipe is a light and easy meal that will remind you of those relaxing summer days.
Shrimp is a delicious summertime staple, and for good reason. This popular seafood is a tasty, low-cal source of protein and flavor. Even most people I know who don’t really like seafood still love shrimp. Its the perfect ingredient to add to salads, pastas, and any summer meal that could use a little protein.
Basil and lemon are two of my favorite summer flavors. Just one sniff of basil and I’m back to nights in my friend’s beach house helping her mom cook dinner. These fresh flavors and their energizing scents take any summer meal to the next level.
Whether you’re looking for new seasonal recipes or just need clean and easy dinner ideas, this recipe gives you a taste of summer all year round. Fresh flavors and ingredients make this light meal perfect for summer. Meanwhile, this quick, 30-minute meal is ideal for busy work nights.
Summer may come and go, but this Lemon Basil Shrimp and Asparagus recipe tastes like summer all year long. Whether you’re on the water or just dreaming of it, whip up a batch for dinner, relax, and enjoy.
30-Minute Lemon Basil Shrimp and Asparagus Recipe
- 2 tablespoons water more as needed
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion finely minced
- 1 pound shrimp fresh, medium size, peeled, deveined, tails off
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger fresh, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound asparagus ends trimmed off, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons basil fresh, roughly chopped
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add the water, garlic, and onion. Cook for about 1 minute or until the garlic and onion are fragrant.
- Stir in the shrimp, ginger, salt, black pepper, red pepper, lemon juice, and asparagus. If the onions and garlic absorbed all of the water, add another 1 tablespoon. Stir well to combine and cover for 2 minutes. Remove the cover, stir, and recover. Repeat this process until the shrimp are pink, firm and cooked through. The asparagus should be bright green and just beginning to soften with a light crunch.
- Stir in the lemon zest and fresh basil. Serve hot and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Like shrimp? Try our Shrimp Taco Pita Pocket!