This earthy Mediterranean soup will fill you up!
What words come to mind when you think of soup? Filling? Satisfying? Sustaining? This soup is truly a complete meal, with protein and fiber delivered by earthy lentils and delicious pasta which soaks up the flavor of tomatoes and vegetable broth. A vegetarian’s dream, this soup will fill you up, keep you energized, and become go-to lunch in your home!
Lentil and Pasta Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves halved
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and minced
- 2 celery stalks minced
- 2 tomatoes big, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth hot
- 4 bay leaves ripped
- 7 ounces whole-grain pasta short-shaped such as elbows, mini shells, mini penne
- 1 to 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- parmigiano reggiano or parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Over medium heat, in a large saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, sautè the garlic. After 2 minutes, add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes then cook for another 5 minutes. Add the lentils then toss them in the saucepan, about 3 minutes. Pour the hot vegetable broth and add the bay leaves. Bring it to a boil.
- When it boils, cover and simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Cooking time always depends on the kind of lentils used. If it is drying up, add some hot water.
- Add the uncooked pasta and cook for 8 minutes, or until al dente. Season with pepper and add salt.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano if using. Serve hot.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.