Beans and rice are a staple in kitchens the world over. They’re cheap, easy to make, and contain essential protein and nutrients. Our Lime Rice and Beans recipe adds a little intrigue to standard rice and beans. Lime provides a nice zing of flavor, while spices and hot sauce give your tastebuds a kick.
Best of all, this dish is done in just 10 minutes! These beans and rice would make a great snack between meals, a side accompaniment to a dish like chicken skewers, or even as a complete vegetarian meal!
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 273 | Total Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 378mg | Carbohydrates: 54g | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 9g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Dash of Kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice per serving
- Tabasco or other style hot sauce, to taste
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Simmer beans on stovetop with salt, pepper, garlic, spices, and lime juice until warm.
- Pour over rice.
- Add more lime juice if desired, and a few dashes of hot sauce.
We love hearing from our readers! Let us know what you thought about this article or tell us about something else you’d like to see on our site. Leave a comment in the section below.