There’s something about Mediterranean food that just feels clean. Filled with fresh ingredients, bold flavors, and spices, Mediterranean cuisine can offer plenty of additions to your clean eating menu. Today’s special? A can’t miss classic for any lover of Mediterranean food: kofta. This Mediterranean chicken kofta wrap makes a perfect lunch or dinner, and is just one of many ways to make a meal out of a mainstay of Mediterranean cuisine.
Kofta are herby, flavor-rich ground meatballs and patties popular throughout the Middle East and North Africa. Whether you’re new to Mediterranean dining, or you’re a longtime fan of the cuisine, a quality kofta recipe is a must-have staple. While recipes vary depending on region, kofta usually combines ground meat, often chicken or lamb, with onions and spices. This clean recipe uses ground chicken and a blend of our favorite Mediterranean herbs and spices.
Complete with a tangy Greek yogurt sauce and fresh veggies in a tortilla wrap, this Mediterranean chicken kofta wrap is the perfect way to add a little Mediterranean flair to your lunch.
All About the Herbs and Spices
Mediterranean food is often pretty simple. Made from fresh ingredients, Mediterranean dishes tend to be earthy and naturally clean. It’s a key combination of signature spices that gives this cuisine its bold flavor.
This recipe uses a delicious blend of herbs and spices. Some are probably mainstays in most of your go-to recipes, like garlic, parsley, and pepper. Meanwhile, this recipe also provides the opportunity to reach for some less common spices. Cumin, coriander, and fresh mint take this recipe from regular chicken meatballs to authentic Mediterranean kofta.
One tip. Don’t roll the kofta balls the same way you would meatballs. For this recipe, it’s best to form oblong, football-shaped balls about an inch thick.
That’s A Wrap
While there’s no shortage of ways to enjoy kofta, this recipe provides everything you need to make a perfect Mediterranean chicken kofta wrap.
Whipping up a batch of this tangy Greek yogurt sauce really brings out the best in this recipe. There’s simply no better way to compliment kofta than with a traditional Greek yogurt dressing. This simple one sticks to the classics: Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and dry dill combine for the ultimate kofta flavor companion.
Finally, complete your meal with the perfect Mediterranean wrap. Loaded with crunchy lettuce, onion, cucumber, and grape tomatoes, this wrap is a fresh and flavorful upgrade from your usual lunch.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 461 | Total Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 163mg | Carbohydrates: 41g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 32g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dry dill
- 4 large whole wheat flour tortillas (substitute whole wheat pita if desired)
- 4 large lettuce leaves, romaine will work best
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cucumber, sliced into 1/4 inch thick circles
- 1/4 cup fat free feta cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Combine all ingredients together and mix well. Form into small football like balls, about 1 inch thick in the middle.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on high heat. Once the oil is very hot, add the kofta balls to the pan and sear on each side until browned. Place each seared kofta onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until firm and cooked through.
- Combine all ingredients and let sit for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend together.
- Lay the flour tortillas on a flat surface. Place the lettuce leaves on to the wrap. Leave about 1 inch of tortilla uncovered on one side.
- Cut the kofta balls in half length wise. Place two halves, cut side down, on top of the lettuce. Top with the red onion, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, and feta dividing each equally between each tortilla. Drizzle the sauce over the top of all the ingredients.
- Fold in the 1 inch of exposed tortilla on the side then roll the wrap into a tortilla shape. Serve additional sauce on the side if desired. Enjoy!
Whether you’re looking to try new recipes or find healthy versions of your favorite classic dishes, we’ve got you covered. Follow us on Pinterest and Instagram for all the clean eating inspiration you need.