Do you remember your last great beach vacation? Maybe you had the opportunity to visit Italy’s shores, and dined al fresco, enjoying fresh vegetable salads topped with luscious shrimp right from the ocean. Or maybe you toured Northern California or the coast of Florida, and enjoyed crisp, green salads, with in season veggies and that same scrumptious shrimp. This recipe for our Mediterranean Grilled Shrimp Entree Salad is reminiscent of the type of coastal Italian fare served up in Italy, or in warm, beachy locales across North America. Now you can delight friends and family with this salad in your own kitchen or backyard.
The base of this salad is comprised of ripe, cherry tomatoes, delicious and juicy, combined with tangy sundried tomatoes and peppery arugula. But fennel adds its own unique flavor, truly Mediterranean, and totally gourmet. Fennel tastes of anise, or licorice, ands lends a sweet, surprising twist to any dish. Using both the bulbs and seeds of the fennel plant will enhance this salad, giving it a well-rounded flavor profile. Topping this salad with fresh shrimp, straight from the grill, truly gives it the warm, scrumptious summer vibe you’re looking for.
This salad is a terrific side, but can even be enjoyed as a meal on its own, for lunch or for a light dinner. Shrimp adds protein, allowing you to feel fuller longer, and keeping your energy levels stable. The mix of hearty vegetables will satisfy you with each crunchy bite of fennel and juicy bite of tomato. This antioxidant and protein-rich salad is a must for healthy eaters who want a bit of gourmet indulgence.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 4 jumbo shrimp and 2 cups salad | Calories: 390 | Total Fat: 17 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 48 mg | Sodium: 175 mg | Carbohydrates: 52 g | Dietary Fiber: 34 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 20 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11 |
- 24 jumbo shrimp (about 1-1/2 pounds), shelled & deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more for sprinkling on the griddle
- 8 cups arugula
- 24 sun-dried tomatoes (from a jar, preserved in oil)
- 2 fennel bulbs, shaved with the use of a mandoline or sliced as thinly as possible with a sharp knife
- 24 fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 lemons, zest only
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Over medium - high heat, place an oven-top griddle or a heavy bottomed saucepan with then sprinkle it with salt. Grill the shrimp and brown both sides. Set them aside.
- Distribute the arugula on the plate then add the fennel, sun-dried tomatoes and fresh tomatoes.
- Place the grilled shrimp on top then sprinkle with the lemon zest, fennel seeds, salt and pepper.
- Dress with the extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Make sure that you subscribe to our daily newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything SkinnyMs.