An aromatic blend of flavors that's simply to die for.
If you’re looking for a dose of healthy veggies, then you’ll love this fragrant and warmly spiced tagine. While it’s meat free, you’ll be surprised that this is one of many vegetable dishes that your slow cooker was made for. It’s aromatic, and has a complex blend of flavors that compliment the Moroccan root veggies well. You can serve it with brown rice or couscous, but it’s delicious on its own. Feel free to experiment with the vegetables in this dish; cauliflower, parsnips, or carrots would work nicely here.
Try Moroccan Root Vegetable Tangine with a side of Quinoa Pilaf.
Moroccan Vegetable Tagine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 fennel bulb chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ginger freshly grated
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 turnip medium, peeled and diced
- 15 ounces chopped tomatoes canned
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 dried apricots chopped
- 6 green olives pitted and chopped
- whole-wheat couscous or rice, for serving
- Greek yogurt plain, for serving
- cilantro chopped, for serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and the chopped fennel and sauté until soft. Add the garlic, sauté for about another minute, and add the spices and ginger. Cook for a minute longer and transfer this mixture to your slow cooker. Add the sweet potatoes, turnips, tomatoes, broth, and chopped apricots to the cooker. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours until vegetables are tender. Stir in the chopped olives.
- Serve alone or over couscous or choice of grain. Top with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of cilantro.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.