Chicken and pasta go together like peanut butter and jelly. Besides tasting downright delicious, the flavorful power couple delivers the perfect balance of grains and protein and nutrients necessary to feeling truly satisfied. This One-Skillet Chicken & Pasta with cherry tomatoes makes whipping up a tasty, nutritious meal a snap. All you need is a skillet to create this delectable pasta dish. Cleanup is an afterthought and minutes will be shaved from your meal-prep time.
Add the ingredients to a skillet and cook them to perfection. Top each plate with some grated Parmesan for a sharp kick and complete with chopped basil for a fresh finish. Then serve and enjoy!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 337 | Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 432mg | Carbohydrates: 38g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Protein: 20g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10 |
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite-size(1-inch) pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 10 ounces whole wheat or high protein spaghetti (optional Linguine)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Pour one tablespoon of olive oil in a pot or large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken pieces and mushrooms and cook until chicken is golden and mushrooms softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and tomatoes and cook for one additional minute. Remove chicken mixture and place in a bowl while cooking pasta.
- Bring to a boil in the same pot or skillet, 4 cups of water. Add salt and pasta. Cook until al dente, approximately 9 minutes or according to the pasta instructions. Drain off most of the water, leaving about 1/2 cup in the skillet. Add to the pasta, chicken mixture, basil, pepper, parmesan cheese, and remaining olive oil, toss to combine.