With individual servings that make portion control easy, kebabs are a fun and light way to impress! Taking a nod from a takeout favorite, these tasty skewers pack protein with delicious orange glazed chicken. Meanwhile, sweet potato adds unique flavor and tons of health benefits. Loaded with vitamin A, this orange wonder also packs tons of fiber and potassium.
Not only are these kebabs healthy and delicious, they’re also versatile! Serve these Sweet Potato Kebabs as an appetizer, or pair with rice and veggies for a complete low-cal dinner. Not to mention, you can pop these skewers on the grill or whip them up in the oven for delicious kebabs all year round. Just skewer, cook, and enjoy!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 skewer | Calories: 281 | Total Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 102mg | Carbohydrates: 16g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Protein: 17g | SmartPoints: 9
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 8 kebab skewers
- 4 (4 to 6 ounce) boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut into large wedges
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (more or less if desired)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat or an oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- On each skewer, place one cube of chicken, one cube of boiled sweet potato, and one wedge of fennel. Repeat until the skewer is full.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine orange juice, crushed red pepper, honey, olive oil, and ginger. Brush each skewer with the mixture. Place on a baking sheet or directly on the grill and cook for 6 to 8 minutes. Turn and brush with more of the orange juice mixture. Bake for another 6 to 8 minutes until chicken is firm and cooked through and potatoes are soft.
- Remove from the oven or off the grill and sprinkled with fresh thyme and fresh parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!