The best taco for "Taco Tuesday".
Taco night is one of my favorite nights of the week- especially when taco night is gluten and dairy free as well as low in carbs (and paleo… without the beans)!
I love making these delicious, veggie-based Paleo-ish tacos and used romaine lettuce leaves as the wraps instead of a taco shell or tortilla shell and stuffed them with beans, tomato, peppers, homemade guacamole and some grass-fed beef. They are delicious!
So, the next time you gearing up to make a batch of tacos, treat the family to this much healthier, and oh-so-tasty alternative.
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
For the Meat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 vidalia sweet onion
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef, grass-fed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
For the "Taco Shells"
- 1 head romaine lettuce 6 large lettuce leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 cup guacamole homemade if possible
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 15 ounces black beans tetra-pak box or can, no salt added, chickpeas, white beans or other bean optional
- 3/4 cup lettuce chopped
- vidalia onion or red onion
- avocado sliced
- cheese of your choice organic
- herbs and spices
- dairy-free cheese or part-skim cheese
- In a medium skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute or so
- Add the onion and sauté until lightly browned (about 1-2 minutes)
- Add the grass-fed turkey or beef, and sauté 7-10 minutes or until cooked, stirring every few minutes
- While the meat is cooking, wash and chop the toppings and lay the romaine lettuce leaves out on serving plates
- When the meat is cooked, add 1-2 tablespoons to each lettuce wrap, then add toppings per personal preference
- Once all desired toppings have been added, serve and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms