Taco night is one of my favorite nights of the week- especially when taco night is gluten and dairy free as well as low in carbs (and paleo… without the beans)!
I love making these delicious, veggie-based Paleo-ish tacos and used romaine lettuce leaves as the wraps instead of a taco shell or tortilla shell and stuffed them with beans, tomato, peppers, homemade guacamole and some grass-fed beef. They are delicious!
So, the next time you gearing up to make a batch of tacos, treat the family to this much healthier, and oh-so-tasty alternative.
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Yields: 6-8 servings | Serving Size: 1 taco | Calories: 185 | Total Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 115mg | Carbohydrates: 14g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 16 | Smart Points: 5 |
- For the meat:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Vidalia sweet onion
- 1 lb, grass-fed minced turkey or beef
- 1 teaspoon each: dried basil, oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the “taco shells”:
- 1 head romaine lettuce- 6-8 large lettuce leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup guacamole (homemade if possible!)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tetra-pak box of no-salt-added black beans (Chickpeas, White Beans or other bean option)
- ¾ cup chopped lettuce
- Optional additions:
- Vidalia or Red onion
- Sliced avocado
- Organic cheese of your choice
- Herbs and spices
- Sprinkle of dairy free or part-skim cheese to each
- In a medium skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute or so
- Add the onion and sauté until lightly browned (about 1-2 minutes)
- Add the grass-fed beef, and sauté 7-10 minutes or until cooked, stirring every few minutes
- While the beef is cooking, wash and chop the toppings and lay the romaine lettuce leaves out on serving plates
- When the beef is cooked, add 1-2 Tablespoons to each lettuce wrap, then add toppings per personal preference
- Once all desired toppings have been added, serve and enjoy!