When you're craving some ooey-gooey goodness, this clean treat will more than satisfy.
I don’t know about you, but I can’t get enough of brownies. Maybe it’s that chocolate-forward flavor or maybe it’s the texture. Whatever it is, brownies have always been one of my go-to, guilty-pleasure desserts! My favorite pieces are the ones around the edges that get a little crunchy. Which got me to thinking: Is it possible to bake brownies so every bite has that crust? It’s definitely possible with this Panko Crusted Brownie Pie recipe, our SkinnyMs. take on brownie pie.
It might seem weird to put Panko bread crumbs on your brownies. After all, they’re usually used for breading fried chicken! After you try a batch of this Panko Crusted Brownie Pie, you’ll know how important that crust is. It gives the outside a nice texture and a satisfying crunch while the center stays moist, gooey, and sinfully good. Talk about perfect! And, we skinnied things up in this brownie pie recipe by making a few ingredient substitutions. Best of all, it’s ridiculously easy to put together.
A Skinnier Version of Brownie Pie
When we set out to make this brownie pie recipe, it was important to us to we keep the original brownie flavor. After all, if it’s not melt-in-your-mouth delicious, it’s not really a brownie! That sinful goodness doesn’t have to come at a high-calorie price, thought.
After extensive testing, we determined that we could use coconut sugar in place of regular white sugar. It still gives the brownies the perfect sweet flavor without having to use refined sugar. And, since coconut sugar is naturally occurring, and it’s easier for your body to digest. Sounds like a win-win to me!
Then, while we love the way that butter tastes, we give you the option to use coconut oil instead. If you choose to swap in the coconut oil, that will make this recipe dairy-free, which some people might require. The coconut oil is just as rich as butter, and it turns out perfectly textured brownies. Feel free to experiment with the change and let us know which one you like better!
Panko Crusted Brownie Pie
Bring it all together with cocoa powder and real chocolate chips and you have a winner! Even though they taste like a guilty treat, all in all, each brownie only has 370 calories. You’ll love that you can eat one of these without breaking your diet!
The center of these brownies maintain the ooey, gooey goodness of a batch of brownies, and the crust gives it a satisfying crunch that really makes this dessert go above-and-beyond. I think it’s time to ditch the store-bought diet desserts and skip the fatty regular brownies. Try whipping up a batch of this Panko Crusted Brownie Pie instead! You’ll enjoy the richness of a decadent dessert, and be able to indulge without all the guilt.
Watch this video to see how to make the brownie pie.
Panko Crusted Brownie Pie Recipe
- 2 cups panko
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pure butter optional coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure butter optional coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs large, lightly whipped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine panko crust ingredients and pour all but 1/2 cup into an 8-inch pie plate. Spread crumbs up the sides of the pie plate. Gently press crumbs on the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a small pot over low heat, melt butter. Stir in coconut sugar and continue cooking on low until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, add vanilla and eggs and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cocoa, flour, and salt. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and stir just until combined. Add chocolate chips and gently toss to combine.
- Pour brownie mixture in the prepared pie plate. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We have a healthy recipe to fit your every need! Whether you need something for a holiday dinner or a potluck gathering, you’ll find it on our site. Follow us on Facebook or Pinterest to browse our collection.