Start your morning off right!
Mmm! This indulgent morning meal is bursting with flavors that’ll convert breakfast-skippers into breakfast-supporters. The warm, crispy whole-grain toast contrasts beautifully with the oozing egg yolk and soft, wilted spinach. And we can’t forget the presentation! The sunny egg yolks seep from ivory whites onto a bed of emerald spinach, creating a picture-perfect work of art. You’ll love this poached egg recipe.
Our Poached Eggs with Wilted Spinach on Toast is the epitome of a substantial breakfast. It delivers a host of health benefits like B-vitamins, phosphorus, and iron. The protein from the eggs and the fiber from the toast work together to satisfy hunger and curb those afternoon cravings. You won’t regret biting into this crunchy, creamy creation!
Poached Eggs with Wilted Spinach on Toast
- 2 slices whole-grain bread or whole-wheat (can be purchased sliced or cut from a bakery loaf)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 3 cups baby spinach loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs medium to large
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place toast on sheet pan. Drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Toast for about 8 minutes, or until crisp and golden on the outside.
- Sauté spinach in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil for about 3 minutes, until wilted. Cover and set aside.
- Add 2-inches of water in a pan with the lemon juice or vinegar and half of the salt and bring to a simmer (just under a boil) over high heat.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl or mug. Slide the egg into the water. Repeat with all of the eggs. If water becomes too hot, reduce the temperature to keep at a simmer.
- Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes until the whites are firm but the yolks are still liquid.
- While the eggs are cooking, assemble toast by placing the slices on a plate. Add a layer of spinach on top of each. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon, letting any liquid drip back into the pan, and place on top of the spinach. Serve immediately.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Have a favorite egg recipe? Let us know! We’d love to hear from you about this article or anything else you’d like to see on Skinny Ms.