This fun latke recipe is nothing like the traditional oil-drenched potato patty. Who says Potato Latkes have to be deep fried and chock-full of calories to taste absolutely delicious? This pancake recipe calls for clean ingredients like whole-wheat flour, onions, eggs, and not a drop of oil!
The crunchy cakes are baked to golden-brown perfection instead of fried, slashing a boatload of calories from the conventional recipe. Each mouthwatering bite delivers bold flavor and crisp, crunchy textures you and your family will love. Spruce up the latkes by topping them with some plain Greek yogurt and applesauce. Absolutely delicious!
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 126 | Points Plus: 3 | Total Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 326mg | Carbohydrates: 25g | Fiber: 2g | Sugars: 1g | Protein: 5g |
- 1 pound Russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup grated or finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/8 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- Applesauce or low-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Put the potatoes and onions in a colander and sprinkle with the salt. Toss well and let sit for 5 minutes. Press out liquid with a paper towel and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the pepper, egg, flour, and baking powder and mix well.
- Drop the mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet into 8 even latkes. Flatten with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and continue baking for 10-12 minutes more until well browned and crisp.
- Serve with desired accompaniments.
Share your thoughts! We would love to hear what you’d like to see next on the site.