Looking for a delicious way to serve poached eggs? Try them on toasted bread with lettuce and tomato for an easy breakfast or brunch. The creamy runny egg yolks pair perfectly with crisp lettuce and juicy tomato slices. Combining protein-rich eggs with complex carbohydrates in whole grain bread, and antioxidant filled tomato make this a healthy breakfast that feels like an indulgence. Enjoy!
For tips on poaching eggs and more, take a look at “Cooking 101: Learn to Poach Anything.“
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 slice toast and toppings | Calories: 154 | Total Fat: 6 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 186 mg | Sodium: 260 mg | Carbohydrates: 15 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 10 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 4 leaves iceberg or romaine heart lettuce
- 4 slices whole grain or whole wheat toast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Add 2-inches of water in a pan with the lemon juice or vinegar and half of the salt and bring to a simmer (just under a boil) over high heat.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl or mug and then slide the egg into the water. Repeat with all of the eggs. If water becomes to hot, reduce the temperature to keep at a simmer.
- Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes until the whites are firm but the yolks are still liquify. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and place on a plate.
- Add one poached egg, lettuce, and tomato to each toast slice. Season with salt and pepper.