It’s 7am. Do you know how you’ll be powering yourself throughout this long morning? Between getting out of bed and your late, hasty lunch are many, many long hours, which may involve a workout, a commute, a daycare dropoff, a handful of work meetings, or a sick child that needs your care. Do you think that cup of coffee with a half of a granola bar is going to get you through the first half of your day? A busy life calls for a fueling breakfast, and nothing will get you through a crazy morning like our scrumptious, healthy protein salmon and eggs on toast.
Smoked salmon has a delightfully salty bite and a sumptuous texture that makes it a brunch favorite. Plus, smoked salmon has all of the lean protein you would expect from this healthy fish, along with a heaping dose of heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids. It’s also a great source of iron, which is a mineral many women are deficient in, and is hard to find in healthy dietary sources. Eggs are one of our beloved superfoods, also a great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. They’re also rich in choline, selenium, and B vitamins, and are known to raise the “good” cholesterol in our bodies.
Top whole grain toast with these two powerhouses for a healthy toast recipe that will taste like a delicious brunch entree, and will keep you fueled throughout your day. Add a sprig or two of fresh dill for a refreshing, herbal top note that will make this breakfast feel like a gourmet treat!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 slice toast and toppings | Calories: 247 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 177 mg | Sodium: 262 mg | Carbohydrates: 22 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 20 g | SmartPoints: 6
- 2 (4-ounce) slices nitrate-free smoked salmon/lox, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped dill for garnish (optional)
- 4 slices whole wheat or whole grain toast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Whisk the eggs and milk together vigorously until incorporated and frothy. Add eggs to a nonstick pan, sprayed with cooking oil, over medium heat, and allow to set a bit on the bottom, then push an edge of the eggs into the center of the pan and allow the liquid eggs on top to slide into the edges of the pan. Continue to push up the edges and stir gently to form large curds. Do not over stir the eggs.
- Top toast with scrambled eggs, chopped smoked salmon, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Get clean eating recipes, innovative new workouts, and healthy lifestyle tips delivered right to your inbox with our newsletter! And for even more SkinnyMs., check out our Facebook and Pinterest to stay informed!
We need your feedback! Go to the comments section to let us know what you think of this article, and tell us what you’d like to see more of!