Pumpkins never fail to bring smiles to people’s faces! Autumn’s cool, crisp air invites all the warm treats this season has to offer. And when it comes to fall cooking, pumpkins take center-stage. From cookies and muffins to soups and stews, countless recipes spotlight pumpkins. The superfood adds its signature fall flavor and subtle sweetness to everything it touches. Well, this Pumpkin Spice Cake is certainly no exception! Pumpkin adds serious decadence to this melt-in-your-mouth dessert recipe, bringing the cake’s flavor to life.
Our cake recipe calls for feel-good ingredients like whole wheat flour, coconut sugar, pumpkin puree, and nutrient-rich spices. Instead of butter or conventional oil, we’ve opted for coconut oil, giving the recipe a healthy boost without sacrificing taste. Pureed pumpkin adds stunning color and indulgent moisture to this savory cake, and blends beautifully with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves the recipe calls for.
For a melt-in-your-mouth finish to a magical treat, complete your cake with our optional Cream Cheese Glaze, made with guilt-free ingredients like low-fat cream cheese, cinnamon, and pecans. This harvest-style dessert is both comforting and delicious, and will have you looking forward to fall all year long!
Yields: 8 servings | Calories: 369 | Total Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 332mg | Carbohydrates: 71g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 41g | Protein: 7g | SmartPoints: 17
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9" x 13" cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients, whisk well to combine and set aside. Add the remaining ingredients in a separate medium bowl, whisk until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir with a large spoon just until combined. Pour into prepared cake pan and bake 45 - 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- In a mixing bowl, whip together the cream cheese, honey, and cinnamon. Whip on high speed until thin. Drizzle on top of cake and sprinkle with pecans. Serve and enjoy!
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.