In a world of processed, pre-made meals that you can grab off the supermarket shelf and have ready in ten minutes, it’s easy to forget you can make a dinner with fresh, healthy ingredients in the same amount of time! For our Quick One Skillet Taco Rice & Turkey, all you need is one dish and six ingredients to make a delicious and low-fat dinner. Take your Mexican night up a notch!
No need for taco shells or carb-loaded wraps when you can get the same flavor and fewer calories in a rice bowl. Skip the microwave dinners and put this nutritious meal together in no time.
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 238 | Total Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 627mg | Carbohydrates: 25g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 18g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, 93% lean
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 cups salsa, no sugar added
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 cups cooked long grain brown rice, cooked according to package
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook ground turkey until cooked through, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add beans, salsa, spices, and cooked rice. Allow to simmer until mixture is hot and thickens slightly. Add cheese and allow to melt. Serve.
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site. Leave a comment in the section below.