These powerhouse bowls are downright drool-worthy!
We’ve all been there: Your hunger strikes, but you can’t decide what to eat. You want to go down the healthy route, but your cravings are all over the place. We totally get it, and we have answers! These easy and nutritious grain bowls deliver the best of both worlds, delivering both satisfaction and nutrition. These build-your-own-bowls cater to your preferences and work around your favorite foods, making them an ideal way to switch up your weeknight menu.
We’ve constructed this recipe around Mexican-themed ingredients like guacamole, salsa, cilantro, and avocado. However, you can totally modify your bowl to fit the theme of your choice!
How It Works
Simply choose your favorite grains, protein, and vegetables. For grains, we suggest brown rice, quinoa, barley, or couscous. These options are rich in fiber and boast a lower glycemic index than their less-nutritious counterparts, like white rice or pasta. Meanwhile, pick a healthy protein option, which could include shrimp, chicken, or eggs. Going the vegan direction? Choose a plant-based protein like edamame, tofu, or beans. These options carry antioxidants and vitamins along with packing a protein punch.
When it comes to veggies, you can use them raw or cooked, depending on what your tummy desires. Some examples could include raw arugula and spinach, cooked broccoli, sautéed zucchini and peppers, or roasted Brussels sprouts. Yum!
The next step — choosing your sauce — adds the flavor element to these bomb grain bowls. Decorate your bowl ingredients with your favorite sauce (or sauces). The more, the merrier! Finally, add the finishing touches by garnishing your bowl with yummy toppings. Give cilantro, avocado, olives, or cheese a try.
This Meal Has Everything
These grain bowls are the ultimate nutritious meal. They encompass the definition of healthy in one scrumptiously satisfying meal! Our build-your-own bowl of goodness delivers an explosion of vitamins and nutrients. Meanwhile, each bowl boasts a mouthwatering concoction veggies, grains, and protein.
Fast and flavorful, these grain bowls come together within minutes and can be enjoyed countless different ways. They make a simple and exciting lunch, but they’re also a quick dinner option when you’re looking to squelch hunger, fast.
Each beautiful bowl of delicious goodness delivers satisfying protein, healthy fats, and filling fiber. What more could you want?
Hungry for more drool-worthy powerhouse bowls? Here are 7 Hearty and Delicious Power Bowl Recipes you need to add to your weekly meal rotation!
The Easiest Grain Bowls
- 1/2 cup cooked grains like brown rice, quinoa, barley, or couscous
- 1/2 cup cooked protein like shrimp, chicken breast, eggs, tofu, edamame, or beans
- 1 cup vegetables a mixture of cooked and raw veggies works here
- 3 tablespoons flavorful sauce like salsa, spiced Greek yogurt, guacamole, or hummus
- 2 tablespoons garnish toppings like chopped cilantro, green onions, avocado, sesame seeds, olives, cheese, or pickles
- Layer the grain bowls, starting with the grains at the bottom and adding the protein and vegetables on top.
- Drizzle the sauce over top of the grain bowl and finish with any garnish toppings.
- These grain bowls can be made in advance and stored in air-tight containers in the refrigerator.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms