Quinoa makes a hearty breakfast cereal while providing protein and complex carbohydrates. This recipe makes a perfect pre-workout food which provides energy that lasts for hours.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe | Calories: 185 | Total Fat: 3 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 1 | Carbohydrates: 33 g | Sodium: 37 mg | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 7 g | SmartPoints: 6 |
- 1 cup dry, white quinoa, pre-rinsed
- 2 cups water
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey, optional maple syrup, coconut palm sugar or sucanat
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk (warmed), optional almond or soy milk
- In a large saucepan, add dry quinoa, water, salt and sweetener, stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low-boil and continue cooking until water has been absorbed, approximately 15 minutes.
- Transfer to serving bowls, divide warm milk evenly over cereal and add any toppings desired.
- Optional Toppings: dried apricots, raisins, sliced banana, diced almonds or walnuts