One bite of this superfood candy, and you’ll be hooked. Not only do quinoa chocolate drops taste as good as any sweet, chocolatey candy available, they’re also made with superfoods like quinoa, almonds, dates, and dark chocolate, so they’re good for you, too. If you don’t have access to a food processor, a blender will work with a little more effort.
Yields: 24 - 1" drops | serving size: 1 drop | Calories: 154 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fats: 1 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 20 mg | Carbohydrates: 29 g | Dietary fiber: 3.2 g | Sugars: 24 g | Protein: 2.9 g | SmartPoints: 8 |
- 1/3 cup quinoa, pre-rinsed
- 2/3 cup water
- 16 whole (pitted) dates, no sugar added
- 1/2 cup raw almonds with skin
- 1/3 cup natural crunchy peanut butter (optional, almond butter or SunButter)
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- NOTE: The fats in our Quinoa Chocolate Drops are healthy fats primarily from the almonds. The calories are mostly from the superfood dates, which is one of nature's sweetest foods.
- Add quinoa and water to a small saucepan, cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook approximately 12-15 minutes, or until all water has been absorbed. Quinoa should still be warm when adding to the ingredients below.
- Add to a food processor or high powered blender, add dates, and pulse until they form a ball. Remove dates and place in a medium mixing bowl. Add almonds to the food processor and pulse until finely minced. Be careful not to turn the almonds into mill.
- Add dates (ball), minced almonds, peanut butter and warm quinoa to the food processor and pulse until ingredients are well combined. Add chocolate chips and pulse until combined and chips are melted into the mixture.
- Return ingredients to the mixing bowl, shape into 24 - 1" drops or balls. Roll drops in crushed almonds if desired. Place on a dish, refrigerate until set.
If you love quinoa and it’s versatility, check out The New Quinoa E-book ~ An Alternative to Traditional Recipes.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.