Bite into this burger packed with health benefits.
Bite into a hearty burger that loses the fatty ground beef and replaces it with two of our favorite superfoods. The protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals in the quinoa pair with the immune boosting and antioxidant benefits of mushrooms for a burger that’s an indulgence and a healthy choice. Make a batch for a weeknight family dinner!
Quinoa Mushroom Burger
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1 shallot large, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 portobello mushrooms large, stems removed and caps finely chopped (preferably using a food processor)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- pepper freshly ground, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup yam cooked, mashed - more if needed
- 6 to 12 lettuce leaves if substituting for hamburger buns
- 3 tomato slices if used
- 3/4 cup guacamole or avocado - if used
- First, rinse the quinoa well. Bring the water to a boil and add the quinoa, cooking until finished, 12 to 15 minutes, careful not to overcook. Drain, measure 2 cups and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over low heat and add the shallot and red pepper flakes. Cook until the shallots are soft, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 more minutes to soften, stirring often.
- Place the mixture in a large bowl and add the quinoa, then add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool and then add the breadcrumbs and mashed yam, kneading the mixture to fully incorporate and form the burger base. Test the mixture by forming a very small patty and frying it in a sauté pan; if the burger is too soft to hold together, add more mashed yam to bind. Make 8 patties by pressing the mixture firmly with your hands.
- Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a large skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Cook the patties until golden-brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Place the burger on a lettuce leaf (if using) and then top with tomatoes, guacamole or slices of avocado.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on Skinny Ms.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.