We love quinoa for many reasons, but we don’t often serve it as a main dish. This recipe allows us to whip up a simple vegetarian dish that is healthy and satisfying. A healthy quinoa recipe makes a great go-to meal when you are in a hurry to get dinner on the table. This quinoa with fresh garden tomatoes is also great served cold and can be packed for children or adults for lunch.
This dish is gluten free and rich with protein. It is made with fresh tomatoes, which means you cut down on sodium and avoid the risk of exposure to the chemical BPA found in some canned foods. The taste of the tomatoes and quinoa pair well together and make for a hearty meal, even without meat.
Is there a way to make the dish even heartier? You bet! Grill or saute a variety of seasonal vegetables and add them to the dish. Autumn is a great time to toss in some butternut squash and corn, but summer vegetables like squash and peas are also great additions. You can even add avocado to boost the healthy fat found in the dish.
SkinnyMs. recently released The New Quinoa Recipe eBook featuring scrumptious dishes like, Enchiladas Verde, Asian Stir-Fry, and even Apple Crumb Cake…all made with what might be the world’s most perfect food, Quinoa. Be sure to check it out here.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 176 | Total Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fats: 1 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 132 mg | Carbohydrates: 18 g | Dietary fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 6 g | SmartPoints: 5 |
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garden fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup quinoa, pre-rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sea or kosher salt to taste
- In a large skillet add oil, turn to medium-low heat and saute garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add crushed red pepper flakes and tomatoes, saute one additional minute. Add remaining ingredients, cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to and cook until liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. soup recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.