This savory risotto will submerge your taste buds in a sea of flavors and textures.
Take a bite of springtime with this green veggie risotto dish loaded with health benefits! The grains hook you up with fabulous fiber guaranteed to curb cravings. The vegetables include wonderful vitamins and minerals, like vitamin C and iron.
This savory risotto will submerge your taste buds in a sea of flavors and textures. Tender, crisp vegetables and nutty risotto make a melodious twosome. The splash of white wine is a brilliant touch.
Next time you’re hosting a dinner party, add this versatile dish to the menu! It works as a main dish or a healthy side. The freshness in this recipe will put some spring in your step. Sprinkle fresh basil leaves for an elegant topping to your Risotto with Green Veggies!
Risotto with Green Veggies
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion or white, chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice or short-grained brown rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup petite peas frozen
- 1 zucchini cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 bunch asparagus woody, bottom 1-inch of stem or so discarded, and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup basil leaves fresh, torn (optional)
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
For the risotto
- Add olive oil to a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice to combine with onions and coat with oil. Add wine. Allow to cook until all of the wine is absorbed.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the stock. Stir until absorbed. Continue adding 1/2 cup amounts and stirring, allowing each amount of liquid to absorb each time before adding more.
- This should cook for about 30 minutes, until all of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente. Add peas and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
For the vegetables
- While the risotto is cooking, bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Set up a bowl of ice water in the sink.
- Add the frozen peas to the boiling water and blanch for one minute until bright green. Remove the peas with a slotted spoon and add to ice water. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to a colander to drain completely.
- Keep the water boiling. Add zucchini to the pot. Blanch for about 2 minutes or until crisp and tender. Submerge in the ice water. Add to the colander with the peas to drain.
- Add asparagus pieces and blanch for 3 to 4 minutes, until bright green and crisp and tender. Submerge in ice water. Place in a colander to get rid of any excess water.
- Fold the blanched vegetables into the risotto. Tear fresh basil leaves and sprinkle on top, if desired. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What healthy recipes would you like to see on Skinny Ms.? Let us know! We’d love to hear from you.