These salmon lentil patties are a great alternative to traditional burgers or fish cakes. They are made with salmon, one of the healthiest foods available, and bulked up with lentils, a great alternative to bread crumbs in loafs and patties. They are also chock-full of healthy ingredients and have a taste you will love.
Looking for new and inventive ways to serve salmon? Salmon is filled with omega-3 fatty acids, which help in lowering cholesterol and possibly relieve symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Unfortunately, salmon can get a little boring if you continue to make it the same way all the time. Week after week – grilled salmon with a spritz of lemon. Sound familiar? This recipes lets you jazz up your salmon entree and make the most of one of the healthiest foods available. You can even opt for the wallet-friendly canned salmon instead of fresh filets! Learn more about the benefits of eating salmon here.
Our healthy patties are made from fresh, whole ingredients. Not only do they taste great, they are a hit with kids because they are so close to hamburgers. This is a simple dinner you can whip up in just a few minutes and you can take the leftovers for lunch the next day. It makes a great sandwich or break up the patty and serve it over greens for a delicious salad.
- 8 ounces wild Alaskan salmon fillet or 1 (14 ounce) can salmon, well-drained
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup lentils cooked, drained well
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko or whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to broil.
- If using salmon fillet, line a rimmed cookie sheet with foil, place salmon on a cookie sheet, spread olive oil on both sides. Broil on both sides 5-6 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 131 degrees. Allow to cool then remove the skin.
- Place salmon in a medium mixing bowl and flake using a fork. Add egg, lentils, onion, bell pepper, Panko, and spices to salmon, mash either by hand or use a potato masher. Shape salmon into 4 patties. Or, use a large circular cookie cutter, pack and press salmon mixture to form patties.
- Add canola oil to a large skillet, turn to medium heat, and cook patties on each side for about 5 minutes or until cooked through and lightly browned.
- Serve salmon patties as a main dish or as a burger style sandwich with your favorite condiments.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.