Most of us are probably used to traditionally sweet oatmeal, but trust us, savory oatmeal is worth a try! Our Savory Turkey Bacon Oatmeal combines turkey bacon, low-fat cheese, chives, and of course, oatmeal in this savory, high-protein breakfast dish. There’s plenty of fiber from the oatmeal also to keep you satisfied all morning long!
You can make this turkey bacon oatmeal ahead of time and reheat it throughout the week, or add it to a weekend brunch menu with your favorite eggs. You could even try it with turkey breakfast sausage to change it up a bit!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: About 1/2 cup | Calories: 353 | Total Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 674mg | Carbohydrates: 18g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 17g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup dry steel-cut oats
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chives, diced
- 6 strips nitrate free turkey bacon, chopped and cooked crisp
- In a sauce pot, bring broth and milk to a boil. Add oats and salt, continue to boil for a minute and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes until oats are soft and liquid is absorbed. Stir in cheddar and Parmesan until incorporated throughout and melted.
- Ladle into serving bowls. Top with chives and bacon. Serve and enjoy!
What’s your favorite non-traditional breakfast dish? Let us know in the comments!