You know that it’s important to include a sufficient amount of protein in your diet, but you’re tired of the usual chicken, and you’re tried to limit your intake of red meat. You can always resort to vegetarian and vegan options, but there is another protein source that may make carnivores a little happier. Seafood! While seafood can cost more than other sources of protein, it has a ton of health benefits, and it’s delicious, too! So, go ahead and treat yourself to a few of our favorite seafood recipes because Seafood is the Superfood You Deserve, and below, we’ll explain why.
SUGGESTED SEAFOOD RECIPES
Quinoa & Shrimp Paella (recipe featured in the photo)
Honey Dijon Glazed Salmon
Halibut with Brown Rice, Tomatoes and Fresh Thyme
Shrimp Stir Fry
Paleo Seafood Fra Diavolo
Wild Salmon Vegetable Salad
Seafood is rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega 3 Fatty Acids are “essential fatty acids” that are not produced in the body alone. Therefore, we need to consume sources of these fatty acids on our own. Fatty acids are vital for normal metabolism, are essential for proper blood flow, help to lubricate bones and joints, and much more!
What’s so great about Omega 3s?
- STRONG HEART – They lower the amount of blood fat, which causes cardiovascular disease.
- HAPPY FOOD – They lower the level and risk of depression.
- HEALTHY PREGNANCY – They boost the health of pregnant women.
- EASY BREATHING – They reduce inflammation that causes asthma.
- SOLID MEMORY – They slow the process of memory loss.
Which seafood is best?
- Take note that it’s better to get the Omega 3 Fatty Acids from food rather than supplements. Fish like: anchovies, bluefish, herring, mackerel, wild salmon, sardines, sturgeon, lake trout and tuna are great sources of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.
- Aim to get 2-3 servings a week for optimal results.
What else can seafood do for me?
- Check out our other articles about the health benefits of eating fish and other superfoods high in Omega 3 Fatty Acids.
- When you feel like splurging, lobster is a great low-carb option that helps build our immune system and supports thyroid health.
- Scallops are extremely high in Vitamin B12, magnesium and potassium.
- Sushi also boosts our immune system, is low in calories and keeps our blood sugar levels low.