This skinnified caponata sure doesn't skimp on flavor!
Eggplants, tomatoes, and zucchini are all in season in late summer. Thinking about eggplant dishes? What better healthful treat to make than a nice sweet and sour caponata dish. This caponata is a little different than a chopped caponata recipe. The stacking presents a nice alternative to a salad. It is, in fact, a stacked salad of sorts without the greens.
For an alternative version: insert some lettuce of choice. Peppery arugula or mixed spring greens (also called mesclun) or even baby spinach could always be added. Just carefully insert a couple of layers of the greens between stacks, placing the layers back on the plate (after the caponata has been cooked and put on the plate of course).
Simply serve with whole wheat toasted baguettes or crostini and a really nice part skim or low-fat mozzarella cheese. If Buffalo Mozzarella cheese is available, it is an excellent choice. Cut into it with a knife and fork to enjoy.
Skinny Eggplant Caponata
For the sliced vegetables:
- 1 eggplant medium, cut into slices
- 2 tomatoes ripe, cut into slices
- 1 zucchini cut into slices
For the sweet and sour mixture:
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons green olives coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey or natural sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/2 tablespoon dried Italian spice or herb blend
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the raisins, chopped capers, olives, honey, vinegar, and oil.
- In 6 to 8 ramekins or individual-sized bakeware, place 1 slice eggplant and spoon on the sweet and sour mixture. Next, follow with one slice zucchini, spoon a little of the sweet and sour mixture and follow with one slice tomato and repeat until all of the dishes have been filled. Top with the sweet and sour mixture.
- Cover each dish with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, until all of the vegetables have softened. Remove the foil and bake for 10 additional minutes.
- Flip the ramekins or individual baking dishes onto the plate. Serve with whole wheat crostini (toasted baguette slices) and mozzarella cheese. Top with the caponata. This stacked caponata should be accompanied by a knife and fork. Simply cut into the mozzarella and pile onto the bread and cheese.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.