This seasonal favorite offers all of the flavor with much fewer calories.
Iced chai never fails to hit the spot. But if you opt for a commercial brand or even your local coffee shop’s version, you’ll probably end up paying more than one price. Iced chai is usually expensive and chock-full of empty calories that could jeopardize your health and fitness.
Luckily, our slimmed-down version of the classic beverage delivers all the yumminess of a conventional latte without loads of calories. It’s easy to make at home and much cheaper than ordering out. This Skinny Iced Chai Latte has smooth flavor with a spicy-sweet kick, thanks to superhero spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger. Your taste buds and waistline will thank you for this healthy treat!
Skinny Iced Chai Latte
- 2 tablespoons chai syrup (*recipe below) per 1 cup milk, more or less as desired
- 1 cup milk of choice per cup (unsweetened coconut from the carton, almond, soy, or dairy)
- 3 to 4 ice cubes per glass
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 black teas bags
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 inch piece ginger cleaned and thinly sliced, or 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 4 cloves or 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 star anise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir well. Reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve or a colander with small holes* over a bowl. Once cooled, pour into an open mason jar.
- *Sieve or colander can be lined with a thin layer of cheesecloth to avoid any tea dregs getting through.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What’s your favorite holiday beverage? Let us know in the comments section! We’d love to hear from you and bring you more healthy recipes.