Iced chai never fails to hit the spot. But if you opt for a commercial brand or even your local coffee shop’s version, you’ll probably end up paying more than one price. Iced chai is usually expensive and chock-full of empty calories that could jeopardize your health and fitness.
Luckily, our slimmed-down version of the classic beverage delivers all the yumminess of a conventional latte without loads of calories. It’s easy to make at home and much cheaper than ordering out. This Skinny Iced Chai Latte has smooth flavor with a spicy-sweet kick, thanks to superhero spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger. Your taste buds and waistline will thank you for this healthy treat!
Yields: 1 serving | Serving Size: 1 glass | Calories: 276 | Total Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 48mg | Carbohydrates: 43g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 36g | Protein: 5g | SmartPoints:12
- 2 tablespoons chai syrup (*recipe below) per 1 cup milk, more or less as desired
- 1 cup milk of choice per cup (unsweetened coconut from the carton, almond, soy, or dairy)
- 3 to 4 ice cubes per glass
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 black teabags
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2-inch piece ginger, cleaned and thinly sliced, or 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 4 cloves or 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 star anise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir well. Reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve or a colander with small holes* over a bowl. Once cooled, pour into an open mason jar.
- *Sieve or colander can be lined with a thin layer of cheesecloth to avoid any tea dregs getting through.
What’s your favorite holiday beverage? Let us know in the comments section! We’d love to hear from you and bring you more healthy recipes.