Start your day off with a kick with these zesty Southwestern breakfast tacos.
I’ve always been a fan of breakfast for dinner, whether that’s a bowl of cereal before bed or pancakes and bacon at midnight. But I’m also pretty sold on the novelty of dinner for breakfast: i.e. breakfast tacos. These spicy egg and sausage breakfast tacos are a fun and zesty alternative to traditional weekend breakfasts.
I love Mexican food, but I seldom incorporate those flavors into my morning meals. A few weeks ago, however, I was staying at hotel with a Mexican inspired restaurant, where I had my first breakfast burrito in years. I’ve been hooked on this zestier side of breakfast ever since, and have been trying out lots of spicy new Mexican breakfast recipes.
This Breakfast Taco recipe is a new favorite for sure. The recipe gets its spice from fresh jalapeño peppers. It only uses one pepper, but you can cut down to a half if you’re looking for a less spicy option. Garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper, oregano, and fennel seed round out the zesty flavor palette of these breakfast tacos.
For this recipe, you’ll make your own spicy turkey “sausage” from fresh ground turkey. Spicy turkey sausage starts with ground turkey and the above spices and seasonings. When the turkey is halfway cooked, you’ll add the bell pepper and jalapeño to finish off the sausage.
Scrambled eggs cook alongside the finished sausage, absorbing some of the spicy flavor. When finished, serve this egg and sausage filling in small tortillas. I recommend warming the tortillas before serving. Additionally, you can use corn tortillas for a gluten-free substitute.
One of my favorite things about tacos is of course all the toppings. So why should that be any different at breakfast? Serve these tacos with your favorite salsa and low-fat sour cream. Shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes? Why not? And for those of us who like it hot, try these tacos with your favorite hot sauce for extra spice.
There’s nothing wrong with a classic pancake breakfast. But if you’re looking to mix things up in the morning, a zesty Mexican meal is definitely the way to go. These Egg and Turkey Sausage Breakfast Tacos start your day off with a kick.
Egg and Turkey Sausage Breakfast Tacos
- 6 ounces ground turkey 93% lean
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 red bell pepper small, diced small
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced
- 4 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 8 whole-wheat flour tortillas small (corn tortillas can be substituted for a gluten-free option), warm
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, red pepper, salt, fennel, oregano, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix well.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the turkey mixture and cook, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks. When the turkey is about halfway cooked, add the bell pepper and jalapeno. Cook for about 5 minutes or until peppers begin to soften and turkey is cooked through.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg whites and eggs. Add to the cooked turkey. Using a rubber spatula, move the egg around the pan to scramble. Once the egg is cooked, spoon into the tortillas. Serve and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
More Mexican-Inspired Breakfast Recipes:
This easy breakfast burrito recipe makes a great grab-and-go breakfast. With mozzarella and turkey bacon, this cheesy and flavorful recipe is a clean breakfast with a little Mexican flair.
This breakfast burrito recipe packs plenty of protein into a vegetarian recipe with filling black beans and spinach. A delicious vegetarian breakfast that packs zesty Southwestern flavor. Healthy, filling, and easy to take on the go, breakfast burritos are a fun and simple way to mix things up in the morning.