While this may not be a traditional stroganoff recipe, we promise you our balsamic mushroom and chicken stroganoff is a recipe your family will request again and again. Chicken stroganoff is a great alternative to the traditional dish because it cuts down on the saturated fat in the beef variety, but still has the creamy, indulgent texture and the rich, delicious taste. This slow cooker chicken recipe is one of our favorites for the cold winter months when you just need something to stick to your ribs and warm you up.
Slow cooker recipes are a dream come true for busy families. They can be prepped quickly and prepared in advance, so dinner is ready and waiting when everyone arrives home for the evening. Meals in a slow cooker can even be prepped and frozen, so you have a month of dinners all set to go far ahead of when you need them. This slow cooker balsamic mushroom chicken dish is sure to be one of the family favorites from your selection.
If you are looking to assemble a collection of slow cooker recipes, try one of our other slow cooker options. Or if you just want something new to try for serving chicken, this stroganoff is sure to be a hit.
Yield: Approximately 8 Cups | Serving Size: 1 Cup | Calories: 187 | Total Fat: 4 gm | Saturated Fats: 1 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 46 mg | Sodium: 207 mg | Carbohydrates: 9 gm | Dietary fiber: 1 gm | Sugars: 5 gm | Protein: 27 gm | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 1 |
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into cubes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth, fat-free
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, (fat-free has curdled for some readers. You may prefer 2% or full-fat)
- Place the cubed chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, black pepper, salt, balsamic vinegar, and chicken broth. Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- When the chicken is done, stir in the yogurt or sour cream. Serve as is, over whole wheat egg noodles, brown rice, or whole wheat pasta.
- NOTE: The yogurt will thicken up the broth and add to that classic stroganoff taste.
Click here for the Top 10 Slow Cooker Recipes on SkinnyMs.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.