This easy recipe is perfect for a cold evening.
This traditional French dish delivers all the comforts of home in a nutritious, delicious, belly-warming stew. Our recipe is a breeze thanks to that handy dandy slow cooker! Thick, hearty chunks of meat, chewy root vegetables, and garden-fresh herbs blend beautifully and offer incredible depth of flavor. This Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon Stew recipe serves as a convenient weeknight dinner option on those hectic days. With its protein-packed, fiber-rich profile, we promise the dish will satisfy any grumbly tummy. The stew’s savory aroma alone is enough to make your mouth water!
Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds lean beef chuck cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons white whole-wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 3 cups pinot noir
- 1 whole rosemary sprig
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound white button mushrooms halved
- 10 pearl onions halved or 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks thickly sliced
- 2 carrots chopped into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup beef stock low-sodium
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound russet Idaho potatoes peeled and chopped into large cubes
- Sprinkle beef cubes with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dredge in flour to coat.
- Put 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add half the beef cubes and brown on all sides, for about 5 minutes. It is not necessary to cook the beef all the way through, just sear the outsides. Repeat with the second batch. Set the beef aside.
- In the same pan that the beef was browned in, add 1/4 cup of the wine and scrape the bottom, allowing some of the liquid to evaporate. Add herbs, mushrooms, pearl onions or diced onion, celery, carrots, and 1 more tablespoon of olive oil and cook for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour everything from the pan into the slow cooker. Add the rest of the wine, the stock, the rest of the salt, the bay leaf, the potatoes, and beef cubes. Cook on high for 4- 6 hours or low for 8 hours.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.