Let your slow cooker work its mouthwatering magic!
When cold weather hits, slow cooker dishes become a convenient way to cook up your favorite comfort foods. If you’re always looking for healthy slow cooker recipes this time of year, look no further! We’ve got one that your family will love. This recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Tips is a tasty classic that is good for you, too!
This recipe was brought to us by Amy’s Cooking Adventures. Amy is a stay at home mommy of two (soon to be three)! Amy’s Cooking Adventures is all about her journey to find healthy homemade foods the whole family can enjoy. As a busy mom, Amy loves slow cooker meals! This is one of her favorites because her kids eat it (yay!) and it reminds Amy of one of her favorite childhood meals. Beef tips are sure to please whether served over heart healthy brown rice, egg noodles, or mashed potatoes!
Slow Cooker Beef Tips
- 1 onion small, sliced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sirloin steak cut in strips, excess fat trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine plus splash for deglazing
- 2 1/2 cup beef broth fat-free
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water whisked together with the cornstarch
- Place the onions and mushrooms into the bottom of a 4.5 quart slow cooker.
- Then, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Generously season the steak strips with salt and pepper and add them to the hot skillet, and sear the meat on all sides, about 3 minutes; do not cook through.
- Place the meat into the slow cooker on top of the vegetables.
- Splash a couple tablespoons of red wine into the hot skillet and scrape the bottom to remove any browned meat bits. Add these to the crock pot.
- Season the beef with pepper a second time and add the Worcestershire sauce, red wine, and beef broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Uncover and slowly whisk in the cornstarch and water mixture. Cover and cook on high for another 45 minutes or until the gravy has thickened.
- Serve the beef tips over brown rice (shown), buttered egg noodles, or mashed potatoes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more healthy slow cooker recipes, check out our list of 73 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes.
What’s your favorite slow cooker recipe? Tell us about it in the comments section below!