Spice up your chowder with Southwestern flavor and creamy texture.
When I hear the word “chowder,” two things come to mind: creamy New England style chowder or tomato-based Manhattan style chowder. This Slow Cooker Chicken and Black Bean Chowder recipe is neither. Instead, it’s a new twist on a traditional recipe. Kick up the flavor in your chowder and give this recipe a try!
Why is Slow Cooker Chicken and Black Bean Chowder not a soup?
By definition, a chowder is a thick, chunky soup that is either cream or tomato based. This particular recipe uses a tomato base, along with a few Southwestern flavor infusions.
To begin our chowder transformation, we started with chicken breast, black beans, and corn kernels. Next, we added in some salsa and diced chilies to give our dish a kick of Latin flavors. It’s important to let those flavors meld and simmer for several hours in a slow cooker along with some chicken broth. In the end, the chicken will be rich with Latin spices, and it should shred easily with a fork.
Once the chicken has been shredded and returned to the slow cooker to simmer briefly, it’s almost ready to serve. You can make this chowder extra-special by topping it with creamy Greek yogurt, avocado slices, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges.
So, there you have it. You’ve taken all of the elements that make a chowder wonderful and have elevated them to create something fun and exciting. A tasty Slow Cooker Chicken and Black Bean Chowder is served. Is your mouth watering yet? I know mine is; I can smell the Southwestern goodness!
Finally, I only have one question left to ask: What time is dinner?
Slow Cooker Chicken and Black Bean Chowder
- 15 ounces black beans can, low-sodium, drained
- 3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen
- 16 ounces salsa jar, no sugar added
- 3 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 4 ounces diced chiles can
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- 1/2 avocado peeled and sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt plain, fat-free (optional)
- 1 lime cut into wedges (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except for the avocado, yogurt, cilantro, and lime in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Return to the cooker and cook on high for another 30 minutes.
- Ladle into serving bowls. Optional: top with avocado, yogurt, cilantro, and a lime wedge.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Want more recipes like this sent directly to your inbox? First, subscribe to our newsletter. Then, follow us on Instagram and Pinterest to not only get fantastic healthy recipes, but also to receive exercise tips, meal plans and much more!