While it’s true that soups, stews, and desserts are all things that lend themselves to the slow cooker on the counter, slow cookers can also be perfect for cooking in the summer, when you don’t want to turn the oven on.
Our Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas will give you the best of both worlds– a fix it and forget it food that is also a delicious warm weather favorite. One of the joys of slow cooking the chicken in this fajita dish is that it becomes delectably fork tender. And with some homemade blackening spice, it has a little heat too.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 fajita | Calories: 364 | Total Fat: 19 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 48 mg | Sodium: 480 mg | Carbohydrates: 29 g | Dietary Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 21 g | SmartPoints: 11
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon white or black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can organic tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large white onion, sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 recipe for Clean Eating Whole Wheat Tortillas
- Combine all of the rub ingredients in a pie plate.
- Rub chicken breasts on both sides with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Dredge chicken breasts on both sides with the blackening spice. Discard any remaining rub.
- In a 4-5 quart slow cooker, layer half of the tomatoes, peppers and onions. Top with chicken breasts. Top with remaining tomatoes, peppers and onions.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 3-4 hours, or on low for 4-6 hours, or until a meat thermometer inserted in the chicken registers at least 165 degrees.
- Serve on wheat tortillas with cilantro, lime wedges, and avocado.
You might also like some of our other favorite taco recipes:
Stay informed about new recipes, workouts, and other healthy lifestyle topics by subscribing to our newsletter. Join our fun and thriving community on our Facebook page and check out our Pinterest, too!
Have some feedback for us? Let us know what you think of this post in the comments section below. Don’t forget to let us know what you’d like to read about in the future!