Make some slow cooker shredded pork and throw together some pork taco fixings like this shredded ‘slaw and you’ve got more than a meal. You’ve got a family fiesta. It’s perfect for game day or a fun taco night. And, it’s so easy that it can become one of your weeknight dinners.
Pork shoulder is one of those cuts of meat that the slow cooker is made for. The longer the braise simmers in the marinade, the more tender, juicy, and flavor-infused it becomes. The crunchy, zesty slaw topping adds a fresh counterpart to the rich, falling-off-the-bone pork.
This recipe is for a full pork shoulder, and there may be leftovers. Shredded pork shoulder freezers very well. Wrap in an airtight freezer bag and this should store well for 4 to 6 months. To defrost, take it out of the freezer and place the whole bag on a plate in the refrigerator the night before serving. It can then be heated prior to serving on the stovetop over medium high heat in a skillet or sauté pan.
Dollop a big spoonful of one of these Mexican-inspired sauces right over the ‘slaw to finish your tacos:
Yields: 12 servings (whole pork shoulder) | Serving Size: 1 cup shredded pork | Calories: 383 | Total Fat: 29 g | Saturated Fat: 10 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 107 mg | Sodium: 413 mg | Carbohydrates: 2 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 27 g | SmartPoints: 12
- 4 lb boneless pork shoulder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth (fat free, low sodium)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Anaheim peppers, seeded and sliced*
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Season pork with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add pork; cook 5 minutes per side or until browned.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Add parsley, oregano, garlic, broth, vinegar, peppers and crushed red pepper flakes to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on Low 6 to 8 hours or until pork is tender. Use half of the pork for Pork Tacos, and the other half can be frozen for the next time pork tacos are made or another pulled pork dish. Note: Green bell peppers may be substituted for Anaheim peppers if desired.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups filling and 2 tortillas | Calories: 135 | Previous Points: 2 | Points Plus: 4 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 231 mg | Carbohydrates: 24 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 3 g |
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups tricolor slaw mix
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat tortillas according to package instructions.
- Combine slaw mix, cilantro, lime juice, oil, cumin and salt in a medium bowl; toss to coat.
- Gently warm pork in a warm oven; shred with 2 forks. Arrange pork in tortillas; top with slaw.
Meal planning just got easier! Take the stress out of planning healthy meals your family will love. Try eMeals!
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Slow Cooker recipe from SkinnyMs.? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.