This tomato based chicken recipe has a combination of wild and brown rice and just enough spice to kick the flavor into full gear. Feel free to lessen or increase the flavor intensity by adding less cayenne or red pepper flakes. We like our chicken dishes a little on the hot side but with this one, you decide!
Minimum slow cooker size: 5 quarts
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 Cup | Calories: 288 | Total Fat: 6 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 | Cholesterol: 38 mg | Sodium: 165 mg | Carbohydrates: 19 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 18 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup wild rice blend, uncooked (wild rice, long and short grain brown rice)
- 2 (6 ounce) chicken breasts fillets, skinless, cut into 2” pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth, fat free, low sodium
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet, add onions and bell pepper and sauté on medium low heat until tender, about 3 minutes. Add rice and continue to sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and add the remaining ingredients, except chicken, stir to combine. Place chicken in the slow cooker and pour ingredients from the skillet over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low 4 hours.
Click here for the Top 10 Slow Cooker Recipes on SkinnyMs.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving the newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email from SkinnyMs., signup here: eNewsletter Signup.