Everybody loves thick, creamy mashed potatoes, but not everyone loves the high fat and calories. So if you’re looking for creamy mashed potatoes that won’t double your meal’s calorie count, look no further. Our Slow Cooker Garlic and Thyme Mashed Potatoes pack all the rich flavor you crave into a low-fat side your diet will love. First, forget the heavy cream. This recipe uses Greek yogurt to achieve that rich texture without all the fat. Along with their rich and creamy texture, these mashed potatoes also boast a unique flavor. Slow cooking these potatoes allows the garlic and thyme to fully marinate, leaving a rich and flavorful side. Serve these light and delicious mashed potatoes at your next get together and see if anyone can tell you’re saving them calories!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 206 | Total Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 443mg | Carbohydrates: 38g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 8g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 3 pounds red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fat free Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup skim milk (more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (1/2 teaspoon if using ground thyme)
- Lightly coat the inside of a slow cooker with nonstick spray. Place potatoes, garlic, chicken broth, salt, and pepper into the slow cooker Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours, or until tender.
- Remove the potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and beat the potatoes on high until light and fluffy. If dry, add more milk as needed. Serve hot.