Jalapeno poppers meet the ever-favorite chicken taquito in our Slow Cooker Jalapeno Taquito Pie! We’ve used low-fat cheeses, jalapenos, spices, and whole wheat tortillas to preserve the creamy, cheesy, textures and the spicy flavors without loading the dish down with fat and empty calories. Once you whip up the filling, all you have to do is layer it with the tortillas in your slow cooker. Start it in the morning, and come home to a creamy, delicious dinner that the whole family will enjoy!
Yields: 6 cups | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 440 | Total Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 612mg | Carbohydrates: 44g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 25g | SmartPoints: 13
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 6 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup jarred sliced jalapeños, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 6 (6-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cups low fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Combine the chicken, cream cheese, jalapeños, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cumin in a bowl. Add 1/3 of the mix to the bottom of the slow cooker, top with 1/3 cup of cheese, then top with three tortillas. Tear the tortillas into pieces in order to make a full, single layer. Add 1/3 chicken mix, 1/3 cup cheese and three tortillas. Finish the top layer with the remaining chicken mix and cheese. Cook on low 4 to 6 hours, or high for 2 to 3 hours. Slice and serve!
Adapted from Creme de la Crumb.
Other recipe you might like:
What are your favorite Tex-Mex recipes? Let us know in the comment section below!