Imagine a healthier version of Macaroni and Cheese that actually tastes good! Couldn’t you just squeak with excitement?
We believe there is room in anyone’s eating plan for a special treat on occasion. So enjoy this as a side dish with a serving of lean protein and a nice big heap of veggies and you’ll have a nicely balanced meal.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving the newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email from SkinnyMs., signup here: eNewsletter Signup.
Yields: 3 cups | Serving Size: 1/2 Cup | Calories: 244 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fats: 5 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 16 mg | Sodium: 198 mg | Carbohydrates: 24 g | Dietary fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 4 gm | Protein: 11 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle) 8 |
- 1 1/2 cups, 1% milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 4 ounces 2% sharp cheddar cheese (get the block and grate 1 cup full. That's about 4 oz.)
- 2 cups dry, penne whole wheat pasta
- Whisk together the milk, egg whites and cornstarch in your slow cooker insert. Be sure to whisk well.
- Stir in the grated cheese and pasta shells.
- Cook on low for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- NOTES ON THE RECIPE:
- After the first hour, stir the food on a semi regular basis. About every 15 minutes or so. This will do 2 things. It will allow the pasta to cook evenly. It will also allow you to keep any eye on the pasta and see when it's done. Every slow cooker is different, so the timing for this recipe may be slightly different on this for you. Pasta goes from "cooked" to "mush" very quickly. So be sure to keep stirring on occasion to keep an eye on things.
- This was made in a 3 quart slow cooker. Should you wish to double the recipe, double everything except the cornstarch (use 1 tbsp.) and cook in a 4 or 5 quart slow cooker (we used a 5 quart for doubling the recipe). Time and temp does not change when doubling the recipe.
- Also, if doubling the milk, you will most likely end up with extra sauce. This sauce is wonderful over a side of veggies.
- For a crispier top, place under broiler oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Note: We recommend penne pasta with this slow cooker version. Smaller shells don't hold up well in the slow cooker.
Click here for the Top 10 Slow Cooker Recipes on SkinnyMs.