This chicken dish has some pep!
Recipe contributed by: Liz from Cooking By Moonlight.
There is something that is particularly satisfying about getting a delicious homemade dinner on the table without spending all night slaving over the stove. With how little time people have to get dinner ready, I love creating these recipes to help people see that making dinner at home can be just as quick as ordering out.
Looking for more quick and easy dinners check out Liz’s blog, Cooking By Moonlight!
Don’t miss the Top 20 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes on Skinny Ms.
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion small, diced
- 1 bell pepper any color, diced
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 15 ounces black beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen
- 20 ounces chunky salsa jarred
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups rice prepared according to directions on package or 1 batch of my Cilantro Lime Rice (below)
Cilantro Lime Rice Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 lime small
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt additional to taste
- optional accompaniments: sour cream, avocado, lime wedges, etc.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers and cook until tender (about 3-4 minutes). Add chicken breast cubes and cook, stirring occasionally, until no visible pink remains on the outside (about 6-7 minutes).
- Add in beans, corn, salsa, and water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through (about 15 minutes) - for a thicker sauce remove lid for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Serve over rice. Garnish with fresh cilantro, sour cream, avocado, etc.
Cilantro Lime Rice Directions
- Prepare rice according to instructions on the package. When the rice is finished add the juice from one lime, salt, and cilantro to the rice. Stir and place back over low heat, uncovered for 1 minute.
- After step 1 place all ingredients in a slow-cooker and heat on low, covered for 2-3 hours. Easy, peasy! 🙂
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms