This yummy recipe combines just the right amount of spice with lean ground turkey, potatoes, and a rich creamy broth. Slow cooker comfort food at its best! This healthy turkey sausage and potato soup is a hearty dish that will satisfy you and leave you feeling warm and cozy. It is the perfect dish for autumn and winter, especially if you have access to fresh vegetables and herbs.
Soups are a popular slow cooker option because they feature so many aromatic ingredients. The longer a soup heats, the better the flavors blend together. Hours after you have prepared your meal, you get to enjoy something that is tasty and healthy. Looking for other soup recipes? We have plenty. Try our Cremini Mushroom Soup or our something from our list of 15 Cozy Winter Soup Recipes.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving the newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email from SkinnyMs., signup here: eNewsletter Signup.
Yields: 8 | Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 279 | Total Fat: 6 g | Saturated Fats: 2g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 36 mg | Sodium: 467 mg | Carbohydrates: 11 g | Dietary fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 13 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4 |
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (we like a combination of white & dark, about 93% lean...feel free to use extra lean turkey breasts)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sage, ground
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, and cut into 1" cubes, optional is leaving on the peeling (we prefer organic potatoes for this recipe, when on sale of course)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Sea or Kosher Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth, fat free, low sodium
- 2 cups milk, 2% milk was used (use milk that has some fat)
- 1 cup baby spinach, rinsed and chopped
- NOTE: It's very important that the milk NOT be added until the very end of cooking as stated below. For best results, in a small mixing bowl combine 1/2 cup liquid from the slow cooker to the 2 cups milk before adding milk to the slow cooker.
- Combine the sausage ingredients in a medium bowl, make into 1 1/2” size meatballs, cover and keep refrigerated while preparing the other soup ingredients.
- In a small skillet, add extra virgin olive oil, turn to medium low heat and sauté diced onion and celery for approximately 5 minutes, or until tender. Add to the slow cooker: sautéed onions and celery, along with garlic, potatoes, herbs, spices and chicken broth; stir all the ingredients to combine.
- Add turkey sausage meatballs to the soup mixture. Cook on low 6-7 hours or until meatballs are done. Just before turning off the slow cooker, add milk and spinach and allow to cook just until spinach is wilted and soup heated through, about 5-10 minutes. 4-6 quart slow cooker recommended.
- This recipe is featured in our cookbook, Skinny Ms. Slow Cooker.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.