There are few things we love to make in the slow cooker more than a whole chicken. In this Slow Cooker Whole Moroccan Chicken, we’ve turned the slow cooker chicken up a notch. It’s the perfect recipe for a busy week, since it makes so much chicken. By using a fragrant blend of Moroccan inspired spices and adding zucchinis and apricots, this recipe can transport your taste buds to North Africa with just a few easy steps.
While you could easily eat it all in one sitting, usually there are leftovers for adding into any number of delicious recipes. We suggest serving this chicken over delicious couscous. However, if you are lucky enough to have leftovers, this chicken is awesome on salads or turned into a Moroccan-style stew.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 392 | Calories: 392 | Total Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 126mg | Sodium: 633mg | Carbohydrates: 34g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 25g | Protein: 40g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 1 roasting chicken
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup dried apricots, halved
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Rinse and pat dry chicken. Rub the outside of chicken with olive oil. Combine spices and rub on the outside of the chicken. Place minced garlic in the cavity along with a little more salt and pepper.
- Add water to the slow cooker, next the onion, then the chicken on top, breast side up. The onion prevents the chicken from browning too much on the bottom.
- Add zucchini and apricots around chicken.
- Cover and cook on low 6 hours or high 4 hours, or until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 -170 degrees F and veggies are tender. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness or pierce with a fork to make sure the juices run clear.
- Combine room temperature butter, or melted, with the flour. Add the mixture to the remaining juices in the slow cooker. Whisk and cook on high until thickened, 3-5 minutes. Pour over chicken and veggies or add to a bowl for serving.
What’s your favorite way to prepare whole chicken? We’d love to hear from you in the comments!