Quinoa is a true superfood. It’s a gluten-free grain that’s packed with protein, fiber, and antioxidants. It goes well with black beans, which also pack a serious protein punch. Plus, if you use crushed nuts instead of breadcrumbs, this dish is gluten-free as well as vegetarian! Don’t worry, though! These meatless meatballs are actually just as flavorful as meaty meatballs. You can eat them plain, add them to a salad, or top them with our delicious 2-Ingredient Sour Cream Dip.
Yields: 15 (1-inch )balls | Serving Size: 3 meatless balls | Calories: 241 | Total Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 232mg | Carbohydrates: 32g | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 11g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa, pre-rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilis, do not drain
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, (optional: crushed almonds or walnuts)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Olive Oil or nonstick cooking spray
- Add quinoa to water and bring to a boil of high heat, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 12-15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and leave lid on while preparing the other ingredients.
- Preheat oven to Broil.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add drained black beans and mash well with a fork. Add cooked quinoa and all other ingredients. Shape mixture into 15 balls and place on a nonstick baking sheet. Either mist or brush all sides with olive oil, or spray with a nonstick olive oil spray.
- Place baking sheet on the middle oven rack and broil 8 minutes, turn over and broil 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve with 2-Ingredient Sour Cream Dip, or dip in your favorite salsa.