I have a problem with plant-based burger patties: they’re usually not that good. So, when I’m in the mood for a vegan burger, I usually reach for a Portobello mushroom or sliced eggplant. They’re both easy to turn into a burger-like sandwich. While they don’t really capture the same burger feel, at least they’re not sad and dry like most vegan burger patties! Then, I made these Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quinoa Bites and they were perfectly moist. It got me thinking: what if I used sweet potatoes to make a plant-based burger? After a few attempts, I had created the perfect blend of ingredients to make this spicy black bean and sweet potato burger with avocado sauce.
These patties turn out perfectly moist every time, just like a real, juicy burger. Pureeing the cooked sweet potato together with lentils and folding in whole black beans has two main purposes. First, it helps bind the ingredients together without having to use eggs or breadcrumbs. More importantly, it creates the most incredible texture. Not to mention that all of those ingredients are high in protein and fiber, making this plant-based burger patty filling, delicious, and healthy!
Between the pungent fresh ginger, smoky cumin, and spicy red pepper flakes, you’ll have all the flavor you need right inside the vegan patty. But, just wait: it gets better. I promise you won’t want to skip the super savory topping on this spicy black bean and sweet potato burger with avocado sauce.
It’s All About The Avocado Sauce
The burger patty itself really is incredible. I’m not trying to diminish that accomplishment, but it’s really all about the avocado sauce. It tastes like guacamole-meets-tzatziki sauce! Combining mashed avocado with garlic, lime, jalapeño peppers, and cilantro creates a classic Mexican-like flavor. Things get really special with the addition of the last ingredient.
You might not think to combine Greek yogurt with avocado. After all, avocado is already naturally creamy, so why would you need to add more soft-textured ingredients? Let me tell you why! It not only thins out the sauce, helping it to coat the vegan patty better, but it adds a really nice, tangy flavor. You won’t believe how well that combination of flavors goes with our sweet-and-spicy burger patties!
Pull the whole thing together by building the spicy black bean and sweet potato burger with avocado sauce on a toasted whole-wheat hamburger bun. You could definitely use a gluten-free bun or a lettuce leaf if you’re following a low-carb or gluten-free diet, but I think the hearty whole-wheat grains really compliment the rest of the flavors. Finish it off with juicy tomatoes and crunchy lettuce and you’ll think you died and went to heaven!
And there you have it: the perfect plant-based burger patty. Everyone loves a good Portobello sandwich, and this Mediterranean Grilled Eggplant Burger is certainly a great option, too. But, when I have the time, I’m definitely opting to make a spicy black bean and sweet potato burger with avocado sauce. This recipe is super high in protein and it’s the closest thing to a real burger I’ve had in a long time!
Yeild: 6 Servings | Serving Size: 1 burger/2 tablespoons avocado sauce | Calories: 441 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Tans Fats: 0 g | Carbohydrates: 76 g | Fiber: 13 g | Sugars: 8 g | Protein: 22 g | Cholesterol: 1 mg | Sodium: 55 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- 1/4 cup avocado, mashed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked, and mashed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red or green lentils, cooked
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 whole wheat or gluten free hamburger buns, lightly toasted (for a lower calorie version, exclude bun and use lettuce leaves in place)
- 1 large tomato, sliced into 1/4 inch circles
- 6 large lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the mashed avocado and lime juice and mix well. Combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Set aside for at lesat 5 minutes to allow flavors to combine.
- In a food processor, combine the sweet potatoes, garlic, lentils, garlic, cumin, onion, salt, and red pepper. Blend until well combined. Carefully fold in the black beans. If the mixture is too thick, a little water can be added, if to thin add more cooked lentils or tomato paste. The mixture should hold together well.
- Once the desired consistency is reached, form the mixture in to 6 patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the patties. Cook each side of the patty for about 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown on each side and hot all the way through. Be careful when flipping the burger.
- Place the burgers on the whole wheat buns, top with the Avocado Sauce, tomato, and lettuce. Serve and enjoy!