This spicy chili with fire roasted tomatoes is a great dish for football Sundays or just when you need something a little spicy to warm you up. Fire roasted foods are a great way to make vegetables even tastier. Fire roasting peppers, tomatoes, and other veggies gives them a rich, complex flavor and a little kick. It is just enough spice to make things interesting without driving mild flavor enthusiasts away.
Fire roasted tomatoes offer another benefit in this tasty chili dish. Research shows cooking tomatoes actually activates the lycopene and creates a more potent food. While you do enjoy the benefits of lycopene from eating raw tomatoes, it is enhanced when the tomatoes are cooked. This is why ketchup and marinara sauce are considered such rich sources of this phytochemical with antioxidant properties.
If you want to spice up dinner, but you want to do so without sacrificing health, this is a great option. Our spicy fire roasted chili recipe will be a hit with your family and friends. You might even find people requesting you bring it to casual parties and special events. If you love chili, you will really enjoy our spicy chili with fire roasted tomatoes!
Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 212 | Total Fat: 4g | Saturated fat: 2g | Carbohydrates: 23g | Sugar: 4g | Fiber: 6g | Protein: 16g | Cholesterol: 32 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3 |
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic black beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Cook ground beef, diced onions, and minced garlic in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking up meat with a fork. Cook until the beef has lost most of its pink color. Drain off fat and place in the slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients.
- Cover, and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.