This hearty vegetarian stew truly warms the soul!
Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is cozy up with a comforting bowl of belly-warming stew. It never fails to soothe the soul, especially on chilly days when your body longs for something hot and flavorful. We’ve created a vegetarian soup packed with nutritious ingredients and bursting with flavor. Our spicy leek and white bean stew offers rich, creamy consistency with a peppery kick that truly tops the charts.
A Stew Overflowing with Rich, Warm Flavor
You might have had potato and leek soup in the past. After all, it’s a classic recipe you simply can’t go wrong with. But our version has upped the traditional recipe a few notches, and cranked up the flavor dial.
Crushed red pepper offers a hint of incredible zest, without overpowering the stew’s flavor. Meanwhile, fresh garlic and dried thyme add a sharp layer of crispness to every spoonful. Who knew tossing in a few unique ingredients could have such an irresistible effect on a conventional recipe?
How to Make Spicy Leek and White Bean Stew
This savory stew is a cinch to make, not to mention it freezes well and makes amazing leftovers. Simply add garlic to a soup pot until fragrant, followed by leeks, dried thyme, red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Afterwards, cook the leeks until they soften, add the rest of the ingredients, and boil!
We suggest simmering your spicy leek and white bean stew for 30-45 minutes, until potatoes are soft and tender. Garnish your masterpiece with some fresh thyme and voila! You’re ready to dive in.
Let’s Talk About Leeks
As the star of this recipe, leeks definitely deserve a Skinny Ms. shout out and a quick rundown on why they’re important. After all, the underrated vegetable rarely relishes in the reputation it deserves. This eccentric member of the allium family has more to bring to the table than meets the eye.
Rich in flavonoid antioxidants, this onion-like plant can fight disease and boost your immune system. Meanwhile, research claims that leeks deliver a hefty dose of vitamin K, manganese, vitamin B6, iron, and vitamin C. That said, your body will thank you as you savor each and every tasty spoonful of this leek and white bean stew!
The Tasty Takeaway
Perfect for busy weeknights, our healthy leek and white bean stew makes a great solution for a quick, yet delicious dinner. For some added goodness, soak up your stew with Grandma’s Homemade Wheat Bread recipe. So delectable!
Spicy Leek and White Bean Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 leeks medium size, cleaned and sliced (both white and green parts of leek and be used)
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme not ground
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups white beans cooked, these can be cannellini, great northern, butter, or any white bean
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves optional, for garnish
- In a soup pot on medium heat, heat the olive oil. Once hot, add the garlic and cook just until fragrant. Stir in the potatoes and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes or just until the potatoes being to brown.
- Add the leeks, dry thyme, red pepper salt, and black pepper. Cook just until the leeks being to soften. Stir in the remaining ingredients (except for fresh thyme) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender. If a thicker stew is desired, gently mash the mixture to thicken. Sprinkle with fresh thyme before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Hungry for more hearty stews that’ll hit the spot? Check out some of our favorites!
- Crock Pot Sausage, White Bean and Kale Stew
- Spinach and Lentil Sweet Potato Stew
- Slow Cooker Hearty White Bean Stew