An easy prep, gourmet, veggie side that's sure to impress!
Searching for a vegetarian side dish with a gourmet flair for your next dinner party, potluck, or family get-together? This spinach saute is no ordinary spinach side. Earthy, green spinach pairs perfectly with crunchy, flavorful pine nuts and tangy, sweet, chewy currants. This combo of flavors will have guests applauding. And this recipe is versatile as well. Turn it into a main dish by adding quinoa, or pieces of grilled chicken.
Spinach is one of our favorite superfoods, and with good reason. Spinach is high in fiber, and contains a multitude of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A and K, as well as magnesium, manganese, folate, and iron. Iron is especially hard to find in vegetarian foods, so load up on these iron-rich greens! And folate is an important nutrient for women in the early stage of pregnancy. Pine nuts offer protein and fiber as well as crunch, and the preparation of this dish is made healthy with the use of extra virgin olive oil.
And here’s yet another bonus! This dish is a one pot recipe, making preparation and cleanup a snap! Once you’ve softened your shallots and lightly heated your garlic in olive oil, simply add the rest of the ingredients and heat for a matter of minutes. Remember that garlic should not be left on the heat for too long, as browning it may make it taste bitter. And spinach only needs minutes to soften and cook down. Take it off the heat quickly to retain its essential nutrients.
Spinach Sauté with Pine Nuts and Golden Raisins
- 10 ounces baby spinach bag
- 1/8 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/8 cup golden raisins
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Toast pine nuts in a dry pan over medium heat on the stovetop for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly until golden and fragrant.
- Add the olive oil to a pan over medium-low heat. Add in the shallots and cook until softened and translucent, or for about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for about a minute, until golden and fragrant. Add in the spinach leaves, pine nuts, raisins, salt, and pepper, and cook for about 5 minutes until wilted.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We’d love to hear what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.