There are certain meals that really just make me feel like a healthy lifestyle pro. Something about whipping up (and digging into) a batch of this squash and kale gratin casserole just makes me feel like I’ve really got my life together. This vegetarian, plant-based recipe is the kind of meal that makes you feel super healthy, inside and out. Oh, and it also tastes delicious too.
Try It With Kabocha
This healthy plant-based recipe may make me feel like I am winning at meatless Mondays, but honestly, it’s pretty simple. There’s really nothing too fancy going on here—just a clean, hearty, and super tasty squash and kale casserole.
If you really want to feel on trend though, definitely try preparing this casserole with kabocha.
If you’re not in the know on kabocha and it sounds like I’m speaking another language, it’s because I am. Kind of.
Kabocha is a tasty Japanese winter squash. It has a fluffy texture and a sweet, earthy flavor that can be compared to pumpkin mixed with sweet potato. Um, yum!
Meanwhile, like most of those orange superfoods, you’ll find plenty of vitamin C, iron, and beta-carotene in this Japanese squash.
If you love squash, you’ll definitely want to give kabocha a try. And if you find you’re often on the fence about squash (like me) you may just find your squash of choice in the Japanese pumpkin.
Of course, if you’re not a fan or you just can’t find it at your local supermarket, butternut squash will work just as well in this recipe.
It’s Easy to Make!
Casseroles are known for their convenience, but sometimes they’re more of a make ahead and freeze for when needed kind of affair. This delicious squash and kale gratin casserole is easy and quick enough to whip up and serve on any weeknight.
It only takes about 30 minutes to get this recipe prepped, in the oven, and on your table. Easy, delicious, and hearty, this super healthy weeknight casserole is basically vegetarian comfort food.
This is a great recipe for when you’re craving the ease and comfort of a warm. homemade casserole, but you’re also looking to keep your nutritional profile squeaky clean.
This delicious plant-based, vegetarian recipe is just one of those meals that makes you feel like you’ve got it all. It’s easy to make and will leave you feeling full, satisfied, and very healthy. This squash and kale gratin casserole is a totally healthy, totally delicious weeknight comfort food. Dig in!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 104 | Total Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 181 | Carbohydrates: 19g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Protein: 3g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3
- 1 small kabocha squash (or 1 small butternut squash) peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow onion roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons water, more if needed
- 1/2 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- In a small sauce pot, combine the squash, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and coconut milk.Bring to a boil and cook until squash is tender and easy to mash. Remove from heat and mash until no lumps remain in the squash. Season with salt and pepper.
- Next, in a small skillet add the kale, spinach, onion, and water. Cook until the onions are soft and kale is wilted. Add more water if needed to prevent the vegetables from sticking to the pan. Add to the squash and mix will to combine.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with the panko and drizzle with honey. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve and enjoy!
Check us out on Facebook for even more delicious and healthy recipes!